We found out last year that our school is slated for tentative closure in 2013... This is a tentative decision based on school population and projected population. We currently sit with a student body of just under 500 people. This year the school is very focused on increasing enrollment so when representatives go out to our elementary "feeder schools" to encourage grade eight students to choose our school as their secondary education facility they are encouraged to make it clear to the potential pupils that our school offers many programs and an extremely bright and prosperous gateway to their future. But is all this true???????
The school closure date being set is a near-fatal blow to it's future as the grade nine class coming in the fall will be the final graduating class. Why would anybody after this year want to attend a school they already know they won't be graduating from? How bright is our future?
To add to everything, the school has decided to cut multiple programs in the upcoming year. Most of which are computer programs... In a technology based society how can a school say that they are cutting computer programs??? They have cut out three programs of completely different content and created one new one. The new course is not recognized by post secondary institutions and to top everything off people that were advised to take the Computer Science class because of difficulties with other sciences now have a prerequisite in a class that no longer exists so they have no prerequisite in any other science for next year...
How can a school prosper when it is being torn apart? Is this acceptable?
What do you think???
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So if you've taken a computer science as your science, your fucked for grade 12 science because you don't have the required pre-classes?! What kind of bullshit is that? And as you say with a very technology driven society, why cut the technology classes? And what about younger siblings for those already at Martin? I'm not at all in favor of sending my sister to Scott! I sign this to bring back the computer classes (I don't understand how that'll help..?) and I also sign it for the sake of wanting to save the oldest, best condition, great, local school in the city.
ReplyDeleteSIGNED
CRUNCH
I think this is Bull! For example, I am wanting to become a computer programmer; How is it that I have my IP 10/20. I was planning on taking CPT next year. I am screwed *Pardon my language* Like I need my computer classes. I need to know the programs to be able to do this stuff.
ReplyDeleteI think this is stupid and that something Drastic needs to be done and quick. What kids are going to want to go to a school where there is only one computer class. NONE!
I have a hope that with all the industry going in on the west side and the associated jobs that lots of families will move into the area. If this happnes I think the enrollment numbers will turn around and Martin may stay open. Csada
ReplyDeleteGuess what? I asked about Computer Science 30 to a Guidance person and they said to me... " We do not offer that class anymore."It's like I couldn't read. But the reason for this is that I found a loop hole in the "8 classes minimum" crap =].
ReplyDeleteWell that's the end of my blah rant. Have a nice weekend!